Kilkis Square

Kilkis Square

Φωτογραφία Banner Αξιοθεάτων

Kilkis Square is located one block north of Skoufa Square. It was formed at the beginning of the 20th century on the site of an Ottoman cemetery that occupied a large area, at the western end of the central market, the so-called Romiopazaro. Below was the Muhusti district, where the Turkish commander’s saray was located, and the annual bazaar took place every September.
According to Sotirios Sarlis, in an article on the news site “”The News of Mikrospilias 24″”, Kilkis Square was initially called “”Garoufalia Square”” because it was funded by Evangelos Garoufalias, twice mayor of Arta (1895-1899 and 1903-1907). He initiated many infrastructural projects, some of which had provoked reactions, such as the alignment of Romiopazaro, today Skoufa Street, at the end of which the square was developed.
After 1913, the square received its current name in honor of the dead in the battle of Kilkis (June 12-21, 1913). It is reported that an army corps had gathered in the square to be sent as reinforcements to the battle between Kilkis and Lahana, between Greek and Bulgarian forces, during the Second Balkan War. The battle ended with a Greek victory and the liberation of Kilkis. It was, however, one of the deadliest battles in the recent history of Greece, and, thus, from the army that left the Square of Arta, very few came back. The place name “”Kilkis”” reminds us of the unknown soldiers themselves and the place where all these people died.
The square was expanded and electrified by Michael Patsalias, who served as mayor from 1914 to 1925.
Next to Kilkis Square, a homonymous entertainment center used to change owners and style due to the high maintenance cost until it turned into a cinema and changed its name to “”Orpheus.”” The claim that the center was named “”Kilkis”” before the square did is not valid.
The long-distance central bus station used to be located in the square.
Sotiris Sarlis, in his article “”Arta, the History of Kilkis Square”” on the aforementioned news website, gives a nostalgic, detailed description of the square of the last century:
“”We remember Kilkis square, quiet, secluded, low-key, less cosmopolitan, without lights, with the taxi rank, the central bus station, the light sign of Papastratos cigarettes, the grill tavern of Harbis Sfikas (in its old place next to the agency), the warehouses of Devekos and below the inn of Georgopoulos. Later, when the independence street opened to Maximou Graikou, the tavern was moved next door, next to the Dimitriadis’ shop with electrical appliances, the entrance of the REX cinema, and the traditional bougatsa (cream pie) shop “”idanikon”” in the corner.
The HELLAS hotel was on the other side, in Skoufa. A total of four confectioneries of Skandalis cousins set tables and served customers in the square. “”Between the tables overlooking the street, there was a triptych board where the city’s cinemas advertised the movies being played, with photos and posters.””
And he goes on to give a piece of information that few know, that the square has a second name, it is also called “”Independence””.
Today, Kilkis Square blends harmonically with the modern city.



Navigate on Map
Click to listen highlighted text!