The area around Arta is ideal for trekking and climbing, combining mountainous landscapes and sea at close distance.
Suggestions for trekking routes
– the road leading out of the city towards the Monastery of Kato Panagia and the village of Glikorizo. The route follows the natural flow of Arachthos river until its mouth in the Amvracian Gulf.
– the route over the hill of Peranthi, through the urban forest and towards either the back of the hill or the riverside park of the city.
– the flatland of Arta and especially the road leading to the Amvracian Gulf and Koronisia is ideal for mild trekking and a chance to enjoy one of the most beautiful sunsets in the area.
– the road from the village of Vigla to the Church of Panagia Rodia until the village of Strogili provides a great view to the lagoons of the Amvracian Gulf as well as the chance to see flamingos.
– for the fans of the semi-mountainous routes we suggest the one towards either Orraon or Xirovouni and Vidra’s Trail.
– for those who like climbing, the nearest options include Xirovouni, Iliovouni, the Valtos Mountains, the Souli Mountains, Tzoumerka and Kokinolakos.
Last but not least, Arta is the ideal base for exploring the mountains all over Epirus: Gramos, Tomaros, Mitsikeli, Kriakouras, Timphi, Valia Kalda, Kakarditsa, Lakmos, Smolikas . . . Conquer or be conquered? Epirus is waiting for you to find out!
ARTA IS A SUITABLE BASE FOR MOUNTAINEERING EXPEDITIONS ALL OVER EPIRUS.